Anglican Women Newcastle
Anglican Women Newcastle unites women across the Diocese. We seek to help.
- Prayer and Worship.
- Fellowship with all women in the Diocese and beyond.
- Giving with Anglican Women Newcastle Thank You boxes.
Anglican Women Newcastle
Anglican Women “exists to celebrate and support women, both lay and ordained, in their ministries and in their witness by providing opportunity for fellowship and the concrete expression of their unity in Christ”. (Most Rev’d Philip Aspinall, 2009) Anglican Women exists in many other dioceses and until recently there was a national AWA — Anglican Women of Australia, with both Provincial and National Conferences taking place. Women from Newcastle Diocese have played a major role in its history at all levels, especially Moira Housden and Valerie Beal.
Anglican Women was established in the Diocese of Newcastle in 1960 as an ‘umbrella’ organisation for ALL women who belong to the Anglican Church. It does not aim to compete with other organisations, but rather to bring them together in a spirit of partnership and co-operation, as well as making provision for those not included in such groups. It aims to work toward the extension of Christ’s Kingdom through encouraging worship, study, service, fellowship and giving. There is no subscription and no admission service. However parishes and organisations are asked to pay a small annual affiliation fee.
The Anglican Women Newcastle Diocesan Executive plans our program. Theseevents are open to all.
- Lenten Retreats. First week of Lent. 1 weekend and 1 midweek.
- Annual Service. First Tuesday of June at the Cathedral.
- Autumn Celebration. First Monday of May in the Manning Deanery.
- Spring Celebrations. First week of September held in the Deaneries.
- Anglican Women's Sunday. Last Sunday of July. Parishes celebrate the women in parish life and recognise their contribution.
- Anglican Women Newcastle Quiet Day: Manning Deanery in October.
Thank You Boxes
Anglican Women Newcastle Thank You Boxes are great. They are a simple way of thanking the Lord for help and guidance in day-to-day events. We say thank you. Thank You for little things we often take for granted. We place a coin in the box and give a little back.
Patterns or labels for boxes are available from your Parish AW Rep. You may of course use any container.
You can hand them to your Parish AW Rep. We collect them at the Diocesan Service in June. We also collect them at the Spring Celebrations in September.
Thank You Box Projects
Each year the proceeds are donated to a project. This is decided upon by the Executive of Anglican Women Newcastle. Recipients have included these causes.
- Youth work in this Diocese.
- the Westpac Rescue Helicopter.
- Fred Hollowes Foundation.
- Palliative Care Services in the Diocesan area.
- A Literacy Program in Myanmar (Burma).
- The Mission to Seafarers in the Port of Newcastle.
- Guide Dogs for the Blind (2014)
- N.T. Aboriginal Ministry
- Alzheimers Australia (NSW)
- Kairos Outside for Women (Hunter)
Project for the year September 2017 to September 2018:
The Anglican Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza & their services for women with breast cancer